Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My Favorites.

(Author's note: This post started out as my favorite BBC Period dramas and then things just started branching out.... I tried to stop it before the dam broke. More and more movies came to mind, so here I have stopped. Hope you enjoy.)

I love Period Dramas. I enjoy many of them, and there are some that are exceptional and need to be shared with others.. I have been wanting to compile a list of favorites for a long time. I figure putting in on my blog would make it easily accessible. Most are BBC or Masterpiece Theater. Some are regular movies. There are so many this is just a start. I am always looking for more, so if you have one you love that is MIA please leave me the title. Also I would love to know your favorites. If you want any specific reviews just comment or email me.  I am sure I have forgotten some and will make amendments as I think of them. There are just so many... check out this website. Their timeline is great to put everything in perspective as to when different shows would have taken place in history.

By the way, you can rent most of these from the Library.

Without any further ado . . .


The Best aka My Top 5

These are clearly my most favorites. Maybe in their own ways they are all #1. There are many versions of Jane Eyre and P&P but these are my favorites. Sorry Timothy Dalton, Toby Stephens made this Jane Eyre the best of the lot. Cranford is fabulous and Wives and Daughters is wonderful.


     

 Almost The Best



These also belong close to the top.




Very Good

OK. Some of these are more modern, etc, but they are good. I guess from this point we leave the more common time period of Austen, Gaskell, Dickens, etc.
I love the Taming of the Shrew from Shakespeare Retold, and Much Ado About Nothing I can watch over and over.                 






Good



Alright, I can't get the pictures to align how I please. This will have to do.


If you liked many of the above, you might like some of these . . .





I so wanted to like both of the following, but they just didn't work for me. Lillies was so great, and then it just had too much "modern" stuff.




I love movies and this post got me thinking about just how many. I wish blogger had extra small images, then I could make one post about all my favorite "normal" movies.

5 comments:

Becca said...

I didn't like Under the Greenwood Tree...but the rest of them are rated well!

Becca said...

You forgot "Woman in White."

Lindsay said...

Northanger Abbey!

Now I want to go watch some of them.

Lindsay said...

I forgot to mention before "Northanger Abbey!", that you forgot it. It is a very cute one.

I thought the description on the back cover of "Brideshead Revisted" was very misleading. I though it was a horrible movie for a prude, such as myself, to watch. (I didn't even finish it, it was that bad.)

Anonymous said...

Great list! There are a bunch I haven't seen yet!

Have you seen "Amazing Grace"? It's about the abolition of the slave trade in Great Britain. I LOVED it. I also really loved "Miss Potter" about Beatrix Potter, but I don't know if these have to be BBC. :)

-Michelle-