Sunday, November 21, 2010

Trials

"Each of us will face trials and tests, and . . . it is how we react to those difficulties that will determine our success and happiness. Each of us will face adversity no matter where we are. We are taught in the scriptures that there 'must needs be . . . an opposition in all things' (2 Nephi 2:11). We will each face times of difficulty, and the question is not when we will face them but how we face them."
James B. Martino, "All Things Work Together for Good," Ensign, May 2010, 101

I have been thinking much on the topic of trials and how we face them. I have friends and family who have been handed some very difficult cards. Things that infuse heartache into the deepest part of them. Some of them react with negativity, self-pity, or freeze up completely, unable to function. Now I am not saying that these methods are bad or wrong, sometimes that initial reaction is necessary. Sometimes that initial reaction will start us on a path for positive change. I think, like the above quote states that how we face these potholes in our lives will determine who we will become. Sometimes it is more than a pothole. Sometimes the road we are following just ends and we are forced to reevaluate everything in search of another path. Life is filled with moments that can injure and maim. I guess the trick is taking that initial reaction and evaluating or strategizing before we strike out on our path only to find that we have made things harder on ourselves that it really needed to be.

I don't even know if I am making any sense, but I have been thinking so much about how many people jump willing into traps that are clearly visible when looked at from the right perspective. We play the victim at times. For me, I have had to acknowledge that most of the troubles I have had (especially as a teen) were self-inflicted. I took the molehills and turned them into mountains. It's sad really. But I do not admit this for sympathy or pity of any kind. I admit my follies in hopes that someone out there can learn from my admission. Maybe someone will evaluate their life and see that they are making themselves a victim when they could be empowered with courage and faith. It may start a thought process for someone that will lead to a better choice, a happier life. I am glad that after all these years I am finally beginning to understand myself, make better choices, and I actually like who I am becoming.

Life can be happy. It is our decision. It is our decision to put on a smile, keep moving forward, or leap in faith.

Today I vow to choose to be happier. I will stop turning molehills into mountains. I will try my best to change my perspective when it needs changing. Listen to others who are trying to help me and pray for the Holy Ghost to guide me.


No comments: