Sunday, October 31, 2010

Someone asked why I don't like Trunk-or-Treat.

Why I do not prefer trunk-or-treat:
(Disclaimer: I am not trying to put down the trunk-or-treat lovers. This is just my opinion. To each his own, right?)

Maybe I am just "old school," but there is just something special about trick-or-treating. Kids get to go to houses of people they may never meet otherwise. They get to see the neighborhood buzzing with people. There is a general ...sense of "community" and friendship. I love the sounds of kids going from house to house.
The trunk-or-treats I've been to, where you walk from car to car and get candy and then go home, (at least that is my experience with them), were just a bit undewhelming. I hadn't heard of a trunk-or-treat indoors before. That would be ok, but I still prefer trick-or-treating in the traditional fashion.


My biggest issue with trunk-or-treating is how it can excludes others. If you go trunk-or-treating then you usually don't go trick-or-treating later. What about people not of your church's faith, people not currently practicing  that religion, and those who are uncomfortable with church activities? Those people miss out on loads of costume clad children and interaction with the parents of said children. What if you didn't know about the trunk-or-treat and were sitting at home with a large bowl of candy, anticipating little cuties, and nary a knock on the door? I realize not everyone participates in trick-or-treating. Some people don't even like Halloween. I enjoy Halloween as a family holiday.

I see no problem with a church activity for Halloween, just have it the day before or early enough that you can go around the neighborhood after. In fact, I really enjoy Halloween church activities. They can be fun to play and dress up, and be with friends. How about a nice "soup n' scare" or the like. Everyone brings a dish. You can eat, interact, dress up, have games and activities for the kids (and/or adutls), and spend an enjoyable evening with friends indoors.

I also admit that trunk-or-treat would be a great activity for a ward (or church group) that may be spread out (like in another state or country). A ward where you have to drive over an hour to the church house or you live miles from your fellow ward members, etc. Does this make sense? But you could still do some put-luck activity with games and then trick-or-treat at home. Sorry this is such a novel. Really, I didn't mean to ramble on this long.:) I tend to do that.

So, I guess what my main point is, is that my ideal would be to have a fun night at the church, but trick-or-treat with your commuity.
 
Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Beckey said...

I totally agree with everything you said! We always go to the trunk or treat but then do trick or treat after too! Our ward had a trunk or treat last night and our ward is spread out really far. (Bangor only has one ward if that tells you anything). But we're not in Utah and here in Maine everyone is celebrating tonight...so thus...we are heading our tonight to the neighbors! I'm actually excited to meet some of them! Thanks for that post! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that way!

Connie said...

When you go door to door, you can get your visiting teaching done for the month, too!