Saturday, June 12, 2010

Personal Progress

I am Mormon. I enjoy church. Not everyone does, but I do. Either way, it's ok. Not everyone needs to like church. Some go because they want to be obedient and they really struggle with certain views the church has, but, still, they attend. Others skip church all together. Some like to attend, even enjoy it. In each category there are many levels of "activity." Like in Mansfield Park when Fanny Price says, "there are as many forms of love as there are moments in time." (I love that book, that movie (1999 and 2007), and that quote.) So too, there are as many types of people as there are moments in time. We all progress at our own rates.

I love my calling with the Young Women (12-18 year old females) in my ward (our local congregation). There is a program for the girls called Personal Progress. It aims to help the girls, "stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places” (Mosiah 18:9).  It really is a good program and I am enjoying my experience with it. As a "leader" I get to work on getting a medallion just like the girls do. I should mention that this is my second time through the program. I received my medallion for completing the program as a teenager and now I get to try out the new program with my YW. The point I like to emphasize is that each girl should make it a personal journey. Hence the name, "Personal Progress." She should not worry about how fast or slow she is compared to others. She should make goals for herself and at her own pace. Gain her own testimony of the truth of things. Accomplish things for herself. I love people. I have a tendency to "fall in love" with people easy. I want the best for people and hope that we can all help one another through life. That we can lift one another's burdens and befriend (and be friends with) others. One of my favorite quotes is by Spencer W Kimball. He said, 


"God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other. . . Unless the way we live draws us closer to our Heavenly Father and to our fellowmen, there will be an enormous emptiness in our lives."


What things help you to progress personally without worrying about how you compare with others?

No comments: